If you’re planning a summer trip to our Fredericksburg bed and breakfast this July, you may be primarily looking forward to enjoying the justly-famed wine region. But that’s by no means the only thing that our area has to offer! There are a number of other activities to participate in and the lineup of local events will not disappoint. July is an especially busy month in our town, so we’re listing some of the best events to hit up when in town.
- July 1st: First Friday Art Walk – This much-anticipated event happens only once a month and is always a blast. The only thing more fun than strolling the streets of historic Fredericksburg is getting to see amazing art from emerging and established artists at dozens of galleries and art stops! The night is an occasion for fine wine, making new friends, and soaking in culture as well as Texas hospitality at shops and art galleries—plus you’ll meet many of the artists in person.
- July 4th: Fireworks! – The Fourth of July is celebrated proudly in Texas, a state with a long history of freedom fighting. The fireworks are visible from much of town, but we recommend joining the main festivity at Lady Bird Johnson Park, where there will be a FREE pre-firework concert starting at 7:30 P.M. The fireworks themselves light up the sky just after dark at 9:30 P.M. (If you’re looking for something fun and family-friendly to do earlier in the day, we recommend the Chili Cookoff at Becker Vineyards).
- July 18th: Night in Old Fredericksburg – This annual event is not to be missed. Part local fair, part German heritage fest, and part Texas barbecue, Night in Old Fredericksburg celebrates everything that our town loves and stands for. Held at the Gillespie County Fairgrounds, there are quarter horse and thoroughbred races, beer keg rolling, yodeling practice, and even Bavarian beer maid races! May the best beer maid win! Of course, the night wouldn’t be complete without a BBQ cook-off and live music and dancing. Tickets are $7 before 6 P.M. or $10 after.
- July 25th: Roots Music Series – Held on site at the Pioneer Museum, this popular local favorite is a monthly recurrence and celebrates a different style of music every month. July’s theme is R&B and Big Band, and there are two excellent musical groups to show off the styles: the Reunion Band and the Original Recipe Band. Delicious food and beer, wine, water and soda are available. The event runs from 6:30-10:30 P.M., with tickets $15 for adults and free for kids under 18. All proceeds benefit the Pioneer Museum!
- July 31st: Grape Stomp – We’ve all seen it done in the movies, but what does it feel like to really stomp grapes with your own two feet? Find out at this wildly popular event at Pedernales Cellars from noon to 5 P.M. Admission to the stomping is free!
Of course, no matter what dates you’re staying at our bed and breakfast, Fredericksburg has plenty to offer. Find more local events on the town calendar.