Fredericksburg creates holiday magic in December, combining German Christmas traditions and Texas Hill Country hospitality. Visitors can choose from 150 different boutique shops, art galleries, wineries, and more, plus special holiday events and theater performances each weekend. When you choose Wine Country Cottages as your hotel accommodation, festively lit Main Street is right outside your door. Inside, you’ll enjoy all the comforts and privacy of one of our intimate cottages offering amenities such as a fireplace, hot tub, and rocking chairs on the patio.
Look for Eisbahn at the Marktplatz throughout the holiday season, until January 6, 2019. The outdoor ice skating rink features upbeat seasonal music to skate by, and offers a variety of concessions such as hot chocolate and pizza nearby.
Days and Times: Friday, Saturday, and school holidays from 10:00 am – 10:00 pm; Sundays from 1:00 pm – 8:00 pm, and Mondays – Thursdays from 4:00 pm – 8:00 pm. Closed December 24-25.
Admission: $15 for an all-day pass.
During the Texas Wine Trail’s Christmas Wine Affair from November 30 – December 16, 2018, 44 beautifully decorated Hill Country vineyards and tasting rooms invite you to enjoy the spirits of the holiday season with them. Many also feature special events during the month.
December 1, 2018, the Pioneer Museum will host the 61st Annual Home Tour and 2018 Christmas Market in Fredericksburg.
- This self-guided tour of Hill Country homes sparkling in their best Christmas décor will put you in the holiday spirit and tempt you to visit the Christmas Market. Home Tour Time: 11:00 am – 5:00 pm. Admission (purchase online): $30 per person, or $35 per person after Nov 26, 2018 (includes admission to Christmas Market, no refunds available.)
- The Christmas Market will feature 21 different boutique displays with unique gifts, gourmet foods, and holiday items, plus a special coffee bar. Time: 9:30 am – 5:00 pm. Admission: $5.00 per person if you do not take the Home Tour.
Friday, December 7, 2018, enjoy Fredericksburg’s Light The Night Christmas Parade & Afterglow at 6:30 pm, plus the December First Friday Art Walk, all in downtown near our cottages.
- Light the Night Christmas Parade down Main Street will boast more than 130 entries, including floats, bands, and more. Visitors can purchase reserved seating in the viewing stand, or bring a blanket or chair for the free seating available.
- Afterglow shines under the sparkling Christmas lights in Marktplatz from 3:00 pm until 9:00 pm. The festival will include live entertainment, holiday foods, regional wines, and lots of chances to finish your holiday shopping. Holiday Sharing Village exhibitors will be local non-profits. Santa and Ms. Claus will be at Marktplatz in their sleigh for free photos from 8:00 – 10:00 pm. Admission: Free.
- Fredericksburg’s First Friday Art Walk will add to the holiday festivities this evening. Eleven art galleries in the historic district will be open until 8:00 pm.
Saturday and Sunday evenings, December 15-16, Fredericksburg will feature the Singing Christmas Tree, “Der Singende Weihnachtsbaum,” at the Pioneer Museum. Visitors can enjoy an hour of holiday vocal music on the Museum grounds at 6:30 pm. Everyone is invited to bring a chair and listen to the sounds of Christmas, including tunes featuring Fredericksburg’s German heritage. Admission: Free.
Sunday evening, December 16, 2018, the Lyndon B. Johnson State Park and Historic Site in Stonewall will host the 49th Annual LBJ Tree Lighting from 5:00 until 9:00 pm. The park buildings will be decorated with luminaries, garlands, and wreaths, and “Even the nature trails are dressed in their holiday best.”
- Just Because Fun Bunch will provide holiday music beginning at 5:00 pm, The State Park Gift Shop will be open, and Keep Texas Beautiful ornaments will be on site for last minute gift shopping.
- As darkness falls at 6:00 pm, the native cedar tree will be lighted, accompanied by carolers and a live nativity.
- Visit the Sauer-Beckmann Living History Farm where costumed interpreters will invite visitors to watch them preparing for a traditional Eastern Gillespie German farm family Christmas celebration. You’ll see a traditional German Christmas tree lit with candles in the parlor, sample cookies in the farm kitchen, and enjoy Christmas tunes performed on the accordion, harmonica, and by the Fredericksburg Community Orchestra.
- Other activities during the evening will include a book reading, 1800s Cattle Trade History at the Behrens Cabin, storytelling throughout the evening night by the National Park Service, and a “Stars in the Park” viewing area of the night sky with members of the Hill Country Astronomers .
Location: 199 Park Road 52, Stonewall, TX (13 miles east of Fredericksburg off Highway 290).
Admission: “In the spirit of the season, this is a free event, but donations to the park are always welcomed.”
From 19th century traditions to 21st century vintages, Stay Fredericksburg at the Wine Country Cottages. Let us help you get in the holiday spirit with a Hill Country getaway this December – just give us a call at 830-213-2570, or go online to reserve your stay.